Friday, July 9, 2010

True Identity

It's all about identity -- human life, that is. What's your name? What's your title? Where'd you go to school? Who's your papa? Where do you live? What's your sign? Identity is all of that but really it's so much more. There's a deeper part, who we know we are regardless of those details, the inner man, the true I.D.


In my case, that's Ernest Hemingway, the man, the literary star, the hunter, the lover, mas macho. He's an icon to some, a joke to others, but to me he's ME: I am the last living Hemingway, and proud to be.


So what if I happen to be in the body of a cat! In case you've forgotten, Hemingway liked cats, he adored cats -- just consider those six-toed wonders he brought to his Key West abode and let rule the place, even today. That's proof! He even brought home an Italian latrine (don't laugh!), cleaned it up, and made it a cat-only fountain. They have their very own, constant source of fresh, clear agua! No sharing with nasty dogs or drinking after humans. Respect!


Just because I look like a gray and white mega-cat on the outside doesn't mean that much. Many do see me for the sizable, lovable cat that I appear, but they don't often recognize that they are stroking true genius and manliness. I know it's hard to see beneath my gorgeous surface to man inside, so I just rub on their ankles, roar my monstrous purr, and circle back to my lady with loyalty. She rescued me from the D.C. pound and gave me a new home. She's my Hadley, my one and only true love.


Actually, she named me for another classic fat cat, Aristotle Onassis, nicknamed Telis. So close to accurate in spirit. Old Aristotle knew wheat it meant to travel the world, eat the best foods, enjoy a good hunt, lie back in the sun, enjoy the ride, and along the way find a beautiful woman like Jackie O. So I don't mind this misnomer.


But my identity IS larger, and I'm going to show you what I mean. Hem and I have never been much for playing small or unimportant. We know who WE are, and women love us! Just keep reading and I'll tell you more . . . .

4 comments:

  1. Love this...WOW! What a beautiful place you have created, here!
    Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, MaryGrace~

    It's nice to meet you! I am so glad that Andrea shared your blog with us. I look forward to reading more of your writing!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you, too, Laura -- and thanks for spreading this around, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORABLE! I'm loving Telis! Gonna share this with others. with joy, Bev

    ReplyDelete